Zeta Phi Beta Sorority – Sigma Mu Zeta Chapter’s mission is to enhance the community by focusing on the Sorority’s principles, encouraging proactive participation, and showing persistence in all endeavors, while fostering the spirit of sisterhood, and promoting the idea of Finer Womanhood.
Sigma Mu Zeta Chapter chartered on December 20, 2001 by 8 classy ladies. At the chapter’s inception, meetings were held at Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain, Georgia. Currently, meetings are held at the Dekalb County Exchange Park Recreation Center.
Sorors Rosemarie Farngalo, Jocasta Frazier, Trellis Buckles, Serafina Williams, Darleen Benson Smith, Cheryl Nugent-Bishop, Teresa Green Johnson, and Daarina Abdul Mateen had a vision for a new chapter in the Stone Mountain- Lithonia area. Their heartfelt desire was to create a chapter focused on the Zeta principle of Sisterhood. A chapter where a true sisterhood would be forged, finer womanhood would be a consistent norm, and atmosphere that would be welcoming, inviting, and supportive which we believe our 5 pearls envisioned for the organization in 1920.
Our many community service projects include March for Babies, and American Cancer Society. We have partnered with DeKalb County District 13 Commission Larry Johnson on several projects in the community and most recently C.H.O.I.C.E – The Center Helping Obesity in Children End Successfully (First Lady Michelle Obama’s project) at the back to school event where they gave away school supplies and information on healthy eating. Our National ZHOPE (Zeta Helping Other People Excel) program has us working in the community with our elder care initiative at Traditions Health and Rehabilitation in Lithonia, Rainbow Elementary as our adopted school initiative and our National Wig Awareness Initiative where we collect wigs for women who suffer with hair loss from cancer treatments.
In the spring of 2008, Sigma Mu Zeta chapter sponsored its first undergraduate chapter. Alpha Tau Chapter at Emory University started with 5 initiates, over the years, Alpha Tau Chapter continues to grow and represents Zeta well on Emory’s campus. In 2014 Sigma Mu Zeta became the sponsoring chapter for Iota Sigma at Clayton State University.
Since its chartering in 2001, Sigma Mu Zeta has received several awards and recognitions including:
- 2014 State of Georgia Chapter of the year
- 2014 Z-Hope 1st Place for the State of Georgia
- 2014 Z-Hope National Senior Initiative Recognition at Boule
- 2016 State of Georgia Chapter of the year
- 2017 Z-Hope Top Chapter for the State of Georgia
- 2017 State of Georgia Chapter of the year
- 2017 3rd Place Fundraising Chapter for March of Dimes for State of Georgia
- 2018 1st Place Wigs for Awareness for South Eastern Region
- 2018 1st Place Elder Care Project for South Eastern Region
- 2018 State of Georgia Chapter of the year
- 2018 2nd Place Volunteer Hours for the State of Georgia
- 2018 State of Georgia 3rd Place March for Babies fundraising chapter
- 2019 State of Georgia Chapter of the year
- 2019 Z-Hope 3rd Place Chapter for State of Georgia
- 2019 Dekalb County NAACP Patricia C Jones Community Service Award